[Haskell-cafe] extensible records - Vinyl - alternatives?

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Sat May 3 16:21:50 UTC 2014

Disclaimer: I do contribute to Vinyl, so I'm not objective.

Things I like about vinyl:

- It is, for the most part, pretty simple. You can reimplement it in very few lines of code, which is good so you don't feel like you're getting locked into someone else's choices. I take advantage of this when exploring design spaces all the time.

- It is, for the most part, pretty fast. You might be reluctant to introduce an abstraction in code whose performance you care about. You might think the abstraction is only worth it when complexity reaches a certain level. Vinyl's repo has a benchmark suite of *dead simple* usage that demonstrates minimal loss of performance. I really like this!

Otoh, the HList contributors are amazing, so being able to benefit from their expertise is quite appealing.

Anthony