[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: On Haskell IDEs

Michal Antkiewicz mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 10 20:53:51 UTC 2014

Vagif, it's all about separation of concerns and low coupling. There's no
point adding all possible functionality into GHCi because it'll become too
big and most users won't use most of it (ever used MSoft Word?). The
ecosystem can be architected in some service-oriented way, in which some
tools will be data providers and others will provide some added layers of
functionality. That does not imply that all tools will need to maintain
their own independent copies of information about the project.

There largest overlap, as far as I can see, is between ghc-mod and
hdevtools. Both are proofs of concept. Maybe parts could actually be
incorporated into GHCi. hsdev seems to be specialized to source file
editing and should remain separate but it can use the other ones as data
sources (incl. Cabal and GHCi).

Re: wasted effort. I don't agree. hdevtools was made to make a point that
running a process in the background which maintains data and answers
queries is much more responsive to the user than otherwise. And it has
proven that point. Now, GHCi can learn that lesson and provide something
similar, if that indeed belongs to GHCi's scope.

Finally, all this is just speculation since I don't know exactly what the
actual overlap among the tools is. It might be smaller than we think.

Cheers,
Michal

<mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca>

--