[Haskell-cafe] SystemF, universal quantification, and rigid type variables

Nickolay Kudasov nickolay.kudasov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:37:20 UTC 2014

Hi David,

There certainly is a difference between those types. Let's reveal their
full form:

   - forall b. (forall a. a) -> b
   - forall a b. a -> b

The first one takes a polymorphic value of type (forall a. a). This means
we could instantiate it to be of any type (e.g. b).

The second one takes a value of any type (not the value of a polymorphic
type).

Thus you cannot apply function with first type to True, because True has a
concrete type Bool and is not polymorphic.

Consider another example:

   - forall b. Num b => (forall a. Num a => a) -> b
   - forall a b. (Num a, Num b) => a -> b

Here in first case function takes a polymorphic numeric value and returns
another, you could define it to be f x = x + 1. But this function can only
be applied to a polymorphic value (forall a. Num a => a). E.g. f
(fromIntegral 2).

In second case you already have some numeric value and, unfortunately, you
cannot use it: you have no way to convert Num types between each other.

Best regards,
Nick