[Haskell-cafe] SystemF, universal quantification, and rigid type variables

Ruud Koot r.koot at uu.nl
Fri Mar 7 10:35:05 UTC 2014

In a strict language (forall a.a) -> b and a -> b would be "the same"
in the sense that they are both uninhabited and thus isomorphic in a
trivial sense. However isomorphic types are generally not considered
identical by a programming language.

In a lazy language these types are inhabited, but by a different
number of terms and can thus not be isomorphic in the strict sense:

f : a -> b is only inhabited by "undefined" and "\x -> undefined"
f : (forall. a) ->b is also inhabited by \x -> x, although calling it
with any argument other than undefined will prove difficult.

Ruud