[Haskell-cafe] Announcement: Bang, a drum DSL for Haskell

J. Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Tue Jun 10 08:15:31 UTC 2014

Benjamin J Kovach <bkovach5 <at> uga.edu> writes:

> https://github.com/5outh/Bang

nice. - two thoughts:

* the basic object is a sequence of (MIDI) events, where duration is always
implicit (computed by concatenation)? It might be useful to have explicit
duration, so you can have an event "with (later) echoes" that still acts as
just one event in concatenations (the echoes overlap with the following
events - so you can say "apply echo to this drum" without destroying the
timing of the pattern.)

* (as with all Haskell EDSLs for music) a basic inconvenience in writing and
reading is that the "space" symbol is application, while we actually want it
for concatenation, to write a sequence of events without extra syntax
(concatenation operators, or commas in list literals). I guess this requires
a parser (as 'tidal' does it), or even template haskell (because we want to
refer to user-defined Haskell values from inside the pattern).

- J.W.