[Haskell-cafe] improved jhc manual

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 15:23:37 UTC 2014

On 06/04/2014 03:29 AM, John Meacham wrote:
> Hi all, I just wanted to show off the new jhc manual
> http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/manual.html
>
> If anyone has any feedback, that would be great, even better would be
> patches of course :) Manual writing is not my strong point.
>
> The entire manual is in the darcs repo as markdown formatted files or
> as literate code embedded in the source files.
>
> Something I need to figure out is how to get haddock to not barf on
> jhc's input files. A problem with haddock is that it tries to
> replicate ghc's module chasing algorithm and falls down when anything
> is slightly off, jhc's ability to handle recursive modules throws it
> for a loop. Now I can easily get jhc to spit out fully resolved module
> names, it does so with the --annotate-source option, but need some
> sort of hook into haddock saying "don't try to resolve module names,
> here they all are."
>
> Even haddock just having a 'keep going' option would be great to get
> something out there. Or even improving haddock to handle recursive
> module imports.
>
>     John

Hi,

You're correct that there's no such feature at the moment. If you want
something, please open an issue on [1]. Note that I have never used JHC
or looked into how it works so I will need very careful description of
what I need to do to replicate it all, including small test case, any
flags that need to be passed in for Haddock to work with JHC, expected
behaviour, a small case where there are no recursive modules so I can
confirm it works in simple case &c. If it turns out to not be too
complicated then you could have it in the next non-minor release (2.15.x).

Are there no other problems with JHC modules? We use GHC fairly heavily
in Haddock so I'd imagine it wouldn't all just magically work but again,
I have zero experience there.

Thanks

[1]: https://github.com/haskell/haddock/issues

--