[Haskell-cafe] Intuition to understand ...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr
Wed Jul 30 18:59:37 UTC 2014

Le 30/07/2014 20:00, martin a écrit :
> for other things, like an integral or a gradient I have a strong intuition.
Oh, do you?...
My deepest respect and admiration.

I have used gradients and integrals for almost a half of century, and I
lost all intuition thereof several times... I thought I had quite a
quite substantial intuition of gradients, and then I discovered
tensorial calculus, and when my intuition "progressed", I discovered
differential forms, and then fibre bundles, and I broke some teeth on
topological issues, and then ...
And with integrals it was much worse. Без водки не разберешь!

> In math, the only ways I know of to get a better intuition is practice and a good teacher. Maybe it is the same in haskell?
In math, your practice doesn't give you any intuition. Your training and
your teacher increase your belief that the model you use is right. It is
the "love after marriage" syndrome. It works with most formal,
disciplined approach to anything, Haskell included. It is needed that
you can *formulate* your thoughts, but the true intuition, your insight,
the impression that you KNOW that something is "right", is independent
of it.

The best.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France