[Haskell-cafe] Intuition to understand ...

martin martin.drautzburg at web.de
Wed Jul 30 18:00:13 UTC 2014

Am 07/29/2014 11:09 AM, schrieb Chris Warburton:

> Bind can often be a bit tricky. I usually find it easier to define bind
> as:
>
>> x >>= f = join (fmap f x)
>
> Then ignore it and focus on fmap and join instead. This is a 'divide and
> conquer' approach.

So you're really throwing symbols around?

When I do math, I do similar things. Particularly in algebra I don't ask myself what e.g. a cubic root does, because I
know the laws of roots and I know what I can do with the symbols.

However, for other things, like an integral or a gradient I have a strong intuition. I have intuition for some of the
simpler things in haskell too. For functions, folds and functors I have some intuition.

In math, the only ways I know of to get a better intuition is practice and a good teacher. Maybe it is the same in haskell?