[Haskell-cafe] Checking minimum package bounds

Adam Bergmark adam at bergmark.nl
Sun Jul 6 00:11:49 UTC 2014

The only time people seem to get into trouble with too restrictive lower
bounds is if they are using a global/user package db along with the haskell
platform where the versions of some packages are pegged. Common best
practice seems to be to support the last two haskell platform releases, and
that's pretty easy to test against.

As a user it very seldom causes problems when a package is missing lower
bounds. One of the strengths of having upper bounds is that you have an
easier time installing old versions of packages if you need to. When doing
that Cabal (as always) picks the latest versions of dependencies so the
lower bound doesn't matter.

That said I always add some arbitrary (but tested) lower bound for my
packages nowadays. I've never gotten asked to relax it so it doesn't seem
to be a problem in practice.