[Haskell-cafe] Checking minimum package bounds

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Sat Jul 5 19:59:59 UTC 2014

Hello Omari,

This problem is among several that I am hoping to address with
the module system work that I am doing this summer at MSR.

The basic algorithm we are planning on implementing calculates a minimal
library signature which a package would correctly type-check against,
and then checks whether or not versions of the library implement this
signature.  A simple version of this check is not hard to do if
you hook in to GHC after the renaming pass (but considerably more
difficult if you have to implement it from scratch: renaming is fairly
nontrivial).  Our approach is efficient: once the signature is computed,
it is no longer necessary to typecheck the package to test for
compatibility.

There are a few things our approach won't handle: for example,
if a signature is made more polymorphic, in a way that the program
still compiles, we will flag it as a mismatch (the plan is to simply
require the types be the same.)

Cheers,
Edward

Excerpts from Omari Norman's message of 2014-07-05 20:37:14 +0100: