[Haskell-cafe] Specifying cabal sandbox flag for local package

Anthony Cowley acowley at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 3 17:24:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Vlatko Basic <vlatko.basic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Cafe,
>
> I have a local forked package and added its path to sandboxed project with
>  'cabal sandbox add-source PATH'.
>
> However, to build that package I have to specify a flag to 'cabal install'.
> In other words I can't install it by
>   'cabal install --only-dependencies',
> but separately with
>   'cabal install PACKAGE -fFLAG'.
>
> Is there a way to tell cabal sandbox (or in project.cabal) to always use
> some flag(s) for compiling a (particular) package in local path?

A way of side stepping this problem is to setup a sandbox in the
forked project directory with "cabal sandbox init
--sandbox=../MyProject/.cabal-sandbox", then you can run "cabal
install --flags" in the forked project directory, and it will install
to the sandbox for your downstream project.

Anthony