[Haskell-cafe] How to deal with dependency bounds for an application

Daniel Trstenjak daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 06:20:07 UTC 2014

Hi Alois,

> Should I know what is the lowest possible combination of my dependencies who
> would compile... because if I'm too strict it might be difficult for some user
> to install? or maybe I should target as lowest what is in current
> haskell-platform?

Yes, looking at the last two haskell platforms might be a good pragmatical choice.

I even like the idea that much that I might add a feature to my own dependency
handling tool cabal-bounds[1]:

   cabal-bounds update --lower --haskel-platform=2012.4.0.0 ...

I think that getting the lower dependencies "right" is more an issue for
libraries, because in the case of applications a cabal sandbox can avoid
most of the possible problems.

Greetings,
Daniel

[1] https://github.com/dan-t/cabal-bounds