[Haskell-cafe] How to deal with dependency bounds for an application

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 20:17:08 UTC 2014

Hey,

I have wrote a little tool and some people had issues installing it with
cabal and had to use "--reorder-goals" to be able to install it [1].

Obviously it's because I have very few dependency bounds (actually near
none aside base).

I don't have to be convince that it's a bad idea, the motivation for adding
bounds are pretty clear... but... I'm not sure how to define them?

Should I know what is the lowest possible combination of my dependencies
who would compile... because if I'm too strict it might be difficult for
some user to install? or maybe I should target as lowest what is in current
haskell-platform?

I'm looking for some advice and feedback from maintainers.

Thanks in advance!

[1]: https://github.com/aloiscochard/codex/issues/6

--
*A\ois*