[Haskell-cafe] Licenses and dependencies

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 19:49:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
> wrote:

> Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.

I'm also not a lawyer.

So overall, I think you're safe publishing under whatever license suits
> you and it's up to the programmer using your code to decide whether or
> not they want to build and/or distribute it as-is.

I can't comment on the legality of this; it sounds like it may be correct
in a technical sense, but in any case, I would like to plead that you /do
not do this/, for one reason:

Someone may want to use your project (and, transitively, the dependencies
you rely on) in a binary distribution someday, and it's unlikely that they
will think to check all the licenses all the way down.

Granted, that *is* their responsibility, but I think it's irresponsible to
create a product that "silently" causes a license violation based on how
the compiled result is used.

Please make a good faith effort to keep your software license compatible
with the licenses on your dependencies.

This is just my perspective on the question, and not something I'm
interested in debating, but I wanted to put it out there since it will
impact the usability of your software in some situations.

--Rogan