[Haskell-cafe] Hdevtools cabal support

João Cristóvão jmacristovao at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 12:37:32 UTC 2014

> It would be nice to have a tool that extracts the ghc relevant options
> from the cabal file which then could be used by ghc-mod, hdevtools or
> any other tool that wants to use ghc in conjunction with cabal.

Personally, I would like that very much, and I would be an active user.

Why not just a parameter, much like cabal own behaviour:

cabal build - sane default
cabal build exe:whatever - build executable whatever
babal build lib:whatever - build executable whatever

Its not really critical that the default is a cover all scenario, as long
as you have those other options. Then you could just configure an editor
(vim) setting to manually tell it what should it do.

I would prefer that, even if it meant a little more configuration work,
than having a 'merge all' situation that does, typically, more harm than
good.

> I think the "right" way might be to find the associated cabal target
> for the current source file.

I also have doubts that this is possible.

Cheers,
João