[Haskell-cafe] Yi documentation

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 21:27:56 UTC 2014

On 17/02/14 19:43, David Thomas wrote:
> I guess I'm mostly asking after subjective experience, but I think the
> things I would rate most important would be (in no particular order): 1)
> key bindings I use match vim, 2) easy to create new key bindings, and 3)
> quickfix buffer.  I would be most surprised if 2 was missing.  1 is
> typically underpopulated but could be grown... anyone know about 3?

For 1 you'd probably have to try-and-see but I think we have a pretty
good coverage. For 2, I think the biggest hurdle is lack of
documentation on how to create the keybindings. AFAIK at the moment
everyone gets by through looking at other people's configs but I think
we should properly document what the different combinators do. I might
attempt this tonight.

Regarding quickfix, I have only learned about it recently. I believe
it's like a compilation buffer in emacs. I do see Compilation mode in
the source but I admit have never tried it out. I think none of the
commands that quickfix provides are offered either.

A big problem with implementing such modes properly is that currently we
have no way to run actions affecting Yi concurrently which means that Yi
would ‘lock up’ during compilation. Hopefully we can solve this in near
future but until then, I don't think it's very viable to start
implementing it.

--
Mateusz K.