[Haskell-cafe] New book: "Beginning Haskell"

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 16:49:14 UTC 2014

[Disclaimer: I'm the author of the book]

Dear Haskell-cafe,

I would like to introduce a new book discussing our favourite language from
beginner into upper intermediate level: "Beginning Haskell". The book
starts assuming zero knowledge about functional programming and builds step
by step to get into the realm of web applications, type-level programming,
domain specific languages, distributed computing, unit testing and much
more! You can look at the Table of Contents in Amazon [
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Haskell-A-Project-Based-Approach/dp/1430262508/
].

The book revolves around the idea of a Time Machine Store: in each part
some functionality is developed. The first part serves as an introduction
and how to model the data with Haskell data types and functions; part 2
discusses many concepts around monads while developing two data-mining
algorithms; in the third part storing and interfacing with clients serves
as an excuse to introduce input/output, database access and web
applications; part 4 is devoted to discussing domain specific libraries for
describing offers; and the last part discusses testing and other
engineering issues.

All the "classical" topics in Haskell are discussed: higher-order
functions, type classes -- functors, applicatives, monads --, laziness. The
focus also lies on libraries use in modern Haskell daily programming, such
as lenses, streaming data libraries, functional dependencies and type
families, Software Transactional Memory and Cloud Haskell. One topic that
is cross-cutting through the book is how to manage projects with Cabal or
EclipseFP: initializing a new package, declaring dependencies, building and
integrating tests. The book tries thus to offer a comprehensive view of the
Haskell ecosystem, not only of the Haskell programming language.

The book is published by Apress [http://www.apress.com/9781430262503] and
available as paperback and electronic format. If somebody would like to
make a review for some FP or programming-related magazine (such as The
Monad Reader) or assess its possibilities for use in classroom, please drop
me a line.

Hope you like it! :)