[Haskell-cafe] Weird reachability issue with haskell.org my my Italian ISP (fastweb)

Alfredo Di Napoli alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:54:52 UTC 2014

Hello Cafè,

let me start with the email I've sent to Rackspace, which will help you
understand the context:

Hi there!

I'm trying to understand how come I can't reach www.haskell.org from my ISP
> here in Italy (fastweb). In order to troubleshoot the issue, I tried dig on
> it, revealing it's hosted by you:

> dig haskell.org

> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> haskell.org
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 63629
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;haskell.org.INA
> haskell.org. 299 IN A
> ;; Query time: 139 msec
> ;; SERVER:
> ;; WHEN: Tue Dec 23 18:33:00 2014
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 45

> Trying a whois reveals the subnet is the entire one:

> Rackspace Cloud Servers RACKS-8-1387376775861482 (NET-23-253-80-0-1)
> -
> Rackspace Hosting RACKS-8-NET-15 (NET-23-253-0-0-1) -

> If I try to ping the IP directly, it obviously doesn't work, so I have
> tried contiguous IP addresses in the same subnet to see if the subnet
> itself was reachable at all.. trying indeed worked! It
> resolved to
> http://www.papamurphys.com/
> This means my ISP can reach that subnet, but doesn't explain why it can't
> connect to

That's very weird indeed, as every other website is reachable, only
haskell.org is not! How funny my fate is! I'm one of the few Haskellers in
Italy and yet I cannot access the website.. perhaps is the consequence of
"Avoid success at all costs"?? :) :)

Jokes aside, do you guys know (I'm asking mainly to Austin here) if
rackspace uses some weird setup for their website deployment or if
haskell.org is hosted "the usual way" and listening on port 80?

Thanks in advance for the 1% who is concerned, for all the other 99%, merry
Xmas ;)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/attachments/20141223/34bcbee4/attachment.html>

More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list