[Haskell-cafe] Why does Haskell PVP have two values for the major version? "A.B..." and a couple other questions

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Dec 18 09:59:11 UTC 2014

Johan Tibell wrote:
> Zach Moazeni wrote:
>> Another question, by far most packages I have encountered either lead with
>> a 0 or a 1 for "A". Does that have some bearing on the long term stability
>> that package users should expect in the future?
>
> This is something that happens a lot in open source, in Haskell or
> elsewhere. We programmers are afraid of calling something 1.0, because
> that somehow means "done", which we never (think we) are. :) Lots of really
> stable Haskell libraries (e.g. containers) are still on version 0.X.

I think the original motivation for major versions of the form A.B was,
at least for me, that preliminary versions can be indicated by A=0.

Personally, I don't consider 1.0 to be "done". Rather version "1.0"
means that the core functionality has been implemented and that the
package authors now have an idea what the core API should look like --
up to future changes. Thus, I think  containers  perfectly well deserves
version 1.0.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--