[Haskell-cafe] Why does Haskell PVP have two values for the major version? "A.B..." and a couple other questions

Tobias Dammers tdammers at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 09:18:26 UTC 2014

IIRC, the rules (for libraries at least) are (correct me if I'm wrong):

- When you introduce a new entity in the public interface, such as a new
  typeclass, a new exported type, a new exported function, etc., you
  should bump the *second* number. This is because such introductions
  are only breaking changes when the consumer imports your modules
  unqualified and completely (i.e. `import The.Module`, not `import
  qualified The.Module as TM` nor `import The.Module (foo, bar)`).
  Importing your module "safely" will not break anything because the
  previous entities are still there, and the new ones simply won't be
  imported, so they cannot cause any clashes.
- When you change the signature of an existing public entity, you should
  bump the first number, because this is a potential breaking change
  even with "safe" imports.
- When you remove an existing public entity, or an entire module, or
  rename either, you should also bump the first number, for the same
  reasons.

And then on the consumer side, this means you can decide to either fix
your dependencies to just the first version number and import everything
"safely" (qualified / per identifier), or to fix them to 2-part version
numbers and use "dangerous" imports.

>From my experience, however, this is neither watertight nor something
everyone follows religiously, so in practice it isn't all that useful
after all. Part of the problem is probably that there are no tools in
widespread use that would block a release under a "wrong" version
number, although I don't see any reasons why this should be technically
impossible to do.