[Haskell-cafe] PVP question

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Dec 15 09:00:48 UTC 2014

I'm a little bit uncertain of the PVP guidelines in a certain case[1], so
I'd like to get some guidance/clarity. Suppose I have a library which
provides the function:

myFunction :: IO ()
myFunction = forever $ putStrLn "Still here" >> threadDelay 10^6

Later, I realize (or someone points out to me) that I've over-specified the
type signature, and really myFunction should be:

    myFunction :: IO a

In this case, does the PVP specify that we should have a minor or a major
version bump? I'm not certain if this counts as a breaking change or not.

[1] https://github.com/fpco/streaming-commons/pull/13