[Haskell-cafe] Why doesn't text-icu work on 64 bit Windows?

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Wed Dec 10 14:57:47 UTC 2014

I wrote:
>> I tried that - there was no output.
>> Note that in dlltool --help it says that -D is for *input* DLL file.

> I did this multiple times with success :) I think there is something wrong
> with your .def file, perhaps.

Yes that makes sense. My .def file has only this:

EXPORTS
symbol1
symbol2
…

What does a correct .def file look like?

> These are mangled Visual C++ names, you can't use them
> at all and you don't need them at all, you should simply
> remove all of them from your .def file.

OK I did that. Now I was able to use dlltool to create new
.lib files from the original DLLs. And I was able to compile
my test program against the new .lib files. But it still
segfaults when I try to run it with the original DLLs.

> I successfully used several Windows 64 Visual C++-
> generated DLLs through FFI. Usually there are no
> problems with them if your generate import
> libraries as described above.

That is great! Can you get a successful build of my
simple test code:

https://github.com/ygale/test-text-icu

and give a list of exactly what commands you entered to get it
to build? (Check that the compiled executable runs without
segfault.) That would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Yitz