[Haskell-cafe] How to update Cabal manually?

Jeffrey Brown jeffbrown.the at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 03:03:37 UTC 2014

"cabal install cabal-install" is not working for me. I am not the first to
find this problem; it is mentioned here
<https://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/Survival>:

"Notice, that in some cases (OS X, especially) the new cabal-install might
not be installed on top of the previous one, and the old cabal-install must
be replaced manually"

I don't know how to manually replace Cabal. The closest thing I could find
to instructions for that were here
<https://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2010-February/073526.html>,
but I don't understand them.

The Haskell Platform installer is what installed Cabal for me. I have not
found how to undo that, nor how to install Cabal in any other fashion.
Running the Haskell Platform installer again seems dangerous, potentially
conflicting with its earlier work.

A likely unnecessary shell transcript demonstrating the problem appears
below.

I am running OS X 10.9 on a MacBook Pro, of which the decision to purchase
I regret more daily.

Thank you.

-----

When I try to update cabal, it looks like it works:

jefferys-mbp:~ jbb$ cabal install cabal-install
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring cabal-install-1.20.0.3...
Building cabal-install-1.20.0.3...
Installed cabal-install-1.20.0.3
Updating documentation index /Users/jbb/Library/Haskell/share/doc/index.html

But the version number exhibits no change:

jefferys-mbp:~ jbb$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.18.0.5
using version 1.18.1.4 of the Cabal library