[Haskell-cafe] "Hackathon"

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Fri Aug 29 03:11:24 UTC 2014

On Aug 28, 2014, at 5:34 PM, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> wrote:

> TBH, my impression is that this thread is searching for a shed to
> color...

Though I started the thread, I agree somewhat with this conclusion. Of course all events are different and participants need to read the fine (or not-so-fine) print to learn more.

But, branding matters. I attended Hac NYC and Hac Boston over the past few months and enjoyed both a great deal. However, when I told non-Haskell friends that I attended "Haskell hackathons", I got several responses of the form "... and how many women were at these events?" It just got me thinking.

Anyway, it seems a fair conclusion to draw from these responses is that I should just do what I want -- there's no consensus to diverge from!

Thanks,
Richard