[Haskell-cafe] "Hackathon"

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 14:19:28 UTC 2014

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure really, as a "hacker weekend" can easily transform into a
"proper" hackathon depending of the folks there and the enthusiast around
the projects.
The difference look very small to me, and I never seen the ambiguity as an
issue.

In fact Zurihack felt pretty much like a coding marathon, I'm not sure if
the "not sleeping" thing should be considered as part of the definition of
a hackathon...

Anyway, just my very personal way of thinking about such thing. I
understand your concern about people being discouraged, but maybe given a
more detailed explaination of the event really ease would help.

On 28 August 2014 15:06, Richard Eisenberg <eir at cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi Cafe,
>
> In my experience, "hackathon" can refer to two very different sorts of
> events: hacking marathons (such as jacobsHack), where participants tend to
> work overnight to accomplish something amazing in a limited time; and
> hacker weekends (such as Hac Phi), where participants work on projects,
> socialize, and then (presumably) rest at night.
>
> Both of these sorts of events have their place in the world, and I'm in no
> way suggesting one is "better" than the other. But, I do think it be good
> for all of us to name them differently, so folks know what they are signing
> up for. In particular, I'm worried that calling hacker weekends
> "hackathons" may discourage those of us with outside, inflexible
> commitments (e.g. kids; the need for 8 hours of sleep) from attending.
> Conversely, folks looking for the higher-energy environment of an all-night
> marathon might be disappointed to show up at a hacker weekend.
>
> What do you think? Is this distinction pointless? Would being consistent
> about this difference help?
>
> Here are some proposed new names for hacker weekends:
> - Hacker weekend
> - Hacker meetup
> - Community Hack
> - Weekend of Haskell
>
> I personally favor reserving the term "hackathon" for the marathon events.
>
> Richard

*Λ\ois*
http://twitter.com/aloiscochard
http://github.com/aloiscochard