[Haskell-cafe] 2014 haskell cabal update hangs on mac

Daniel Gorín dgorin at dc.uba.ar
Wed Aug 27 10:19:52 UTC 2014

I had the same problem. It turned out to be that for some unknown reason I ended up with:

/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.8.3-x86_64/bin/cabal -> cabal.wrap
/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.8.3-x86_64/bin/cabal.real -> cabal.wrap
/Library/Haskell/ghc-7.8.3-x86_64/bin/cabal.wrap

where cabal.wrap is a shell script that checks if a new cabal.config should be created and then calls… cabal.real. Replacing cabal.real with a binary version of cabal solves it.

I don’t know why this happened, I suspect that it might occur if you had ghc 7.8.2 already installed...

Daniel