[Haskell-cafe] The Good, the Bad and the GUI

Wojtek Narczyński wojtek at power.com.pl
Sat Aug 16 21:51:48 UTC 2014

On 15.08.2014 13:27, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Wojtek, precise wording is important to us. We make no claim that
> "Haskell is great for GUIs", only that it is probably capable of
> carrying a great library for expressing GUIs. This distinction is
> important because it gives advice on how to solve the problem -- is
> there some inherent defect in the language and its semantics that
> makes it difficult, or is the problem more on of manpower?

GUIs are hard, in any language.
http://www.emarcus.org/papers/gpce2009-marcus.pdf
http://www.cs.uic.edu/~hinrichs/papers/hinrichs2011plato.pdf

I am looking for solutions on a Haskell list, because I think chances of
finding them here are higher than elsewhere.

So let me ask again, any ideas on how would you write down rules for:
text field lengths or numeric field ranges, in such a library, for a start?

> Similar for the term "GUI". Apparently, you are interested in a narrow
> aspect of GUI programming -- input forms and validation. Which is
> totally fine, but not nearly as broad as GUI programming in general.

You are totally right here. I should have said I meant Web UIs, mostly
interactive forms.

--
Wojtek