[Haskell-cafe] The Good, the Bad and the GUI

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Aug 15 11:27:40 UTC 2014

Wojtek Narczyński wrote:
> Alexander Vieth wrote:
>
>> I think Heinrich meant that Haskell, the language, is probably capable
>> of carrying a great library for expressing GUI's, even if we haven't
>> yet seen it implemented.
>
> Haskell, the language, is great for GUIs, because... "(it) is probably
> capable of carrying a great library for expressing GUI's, even if we
> haven't yet seen it implemented." This is too much, I need to sleep it off.

That's indeed what I wanted to say, Alexander.

Wojtek, precise wording is important to us. We make no claim that
"Haskell is great for GUIs", only that it is probably capable of
carrying a great library for expressing GUIs. This distinction is
important because it gives advice on how to solve the problem -- is
there some inherent defect in the language and its semantics that makes
it difficult, or is the problem more on of manpower?

Similar for the term "GUI". Apparently, you are interested in a narrow
aspect of GUI programming -- input forms and validation. Which is
totally fine, but not nearly as broad as GUI programming in general. The
latter benefits immensely from FRP, but FRP is orthogonal to the
question of validation.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--