[Haskell-cafe] Cannot install the Haskell Platform on GNU/Linux (possible Cabal issue)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 18:10:17 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM, egarrulo <egarrulo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot install the Haskell Platform 2014.2.0.0 on my GNU/Linux system:
>
>     $ ./platform.sh \
>     >      --prefix=/opt/haskell-platform/haskell-platform-2014.2.0.0 \
>     >      ../ghc-7.8.3/ghc-7.8.3-i386-unknown-linux.tar.bz2
>     Warning: The following packages are likely to be broken by the
>     reinstalls:
>     haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0
>     Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.
>     === pre-requisite packages for hptool are not installed

You can't have two versions of the Platform installed into the same ghc;
ghc will become extremely confused. This is essentially a ghc shortcoming
that the Platform can't work around.

The hptool issue is likely that you have an older version installed than
the new Platform requires, and the newer one is not compatible with the
older Platform. Again, installing a separate ghc for the new Platform
should resolve this.