[Haskell-cafe] The Good, the Bad and the GUI

Wojtek Narczyński wojtek at power.com.pl
Wed Aug 13 21:19:24 UTC 2014

On 13.08.2014 15:42, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Validation is mainly a question of *how* to present feedback about
> invalid data to the user -- for instance by making invalid data
> impossible to enter, or by showing errors in red and retaining the
> last correct value, etc.

I don't even know how to capture validation rules in such a way that
they were easy to use from the GUI layer. I suspect if they were
captured well, whatever well might mean in this context, a functioning
GUI could be autogenerated from those rules.

And I don't understand FRP code. I could however understand Eduardo's
client side formlets almost immediately. Not now they work below, how to
use them.

> Still, even for the more narrow problem of forms and input validation,
> I don't see how you arrive at your claim that "Haskell is however not
> great for GUIs". This seems like a problem that can be solved with a
> traditional DSL approach, and I would be surprised if Haskell were
> unsuitable as a host language, contrary to what your claim seems to
> imply. Whether DSLs along these lines are already available is another
> question. Alberto mentioned one, another one would be [1].

Oh, please. Haskell is great for parsing, because you can build a parser
with e.g. parsec, attoparsec, uuparse, trifeca, in no time. Even I can
do it. Haskell is great for concurrency, because it has lightweight
threads, STM, and a fabulous book about it. Haskell is great for GUIs,
because.... how about you finish this statement, I don't know how to.

--
Kind reagrds,
Wojtek Narczynski