[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Default stdout buffering of child processofcreateProcess

ok at cs.otago.ac.nz ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Aug 5 01:48:10 UTC 2014

> Concerning buffering, when somebody (Richard O'K. presumably) says :
>> I am sick of having to tell students "Java does not buffer by
>> default, it is up to YOU to use BufferedReader and/or
>> BufferedWriter if you do not want I/O to be catastrophically
>> slow".
> I would say that in many circumstances (Java EE services, etc.) this is
> far from being catastrophically slow.

It was me, and we don't do Java EE services.  We *do* do information
retrieval and data mining and stuff, some stuff coming from files
and some stuff coming from files, and 'catastrophically slow' is
reliably observed behaviour for that kind of stuff.  I know so very
little about Java EE services that it never occurred to me that
people would use java.io.* for any significant amounts of data in
that area.

Is the usage of java.io.* in Java EE something that might find an
analogue in Haskell use, making unbuffered I/O something Haskell
programmers might need frequently?

(I'm drawing a distinction here between on the one hand buffered
I/O with careful flushing at interaction boundaries and on the
other hand unbuffered I/O where each program-level transput call
is a system-level transput operation.)