[Haskell-cafe] Unicode Haskell source -- Yippie!

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Apr 27 09:30:47 UTC 2014

Nickolay Kudasov wrote:
>> eg I would like to see \ spelled as λ
>
> ​I have symbol substitution enabled in Vim. E.g. when I write \ (and it is
> syntactically lambda) I get λ. The same way composition (.) is replaced
> with ∘. The same trick can be enabled for other operators as well. So I
> have normal text and nice presentation in *my* text editor: it does not
> bother anyone but me.

I think this is the right approach. See also https://github.com/i-tu/Hasklig/

The main problem with special Unicode characters, as I see it, is that it is
no longer possible to distinguish characters unambiguously just by looking
at them. Apart from questions of maintainability, this is also a potential
security problem: it enables an attacker to slip in malicious code simply by
importing a module whose name looks like a well known safe module. In a big
and complex piece of software, such an attack might not be spotted for some
time.

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams