[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] codex - generate tags file from dependencies

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:58:14 UTC 2014

On 25 April 2014 02:37, Christian Marie <christian at ponies.io> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:54:29PM +0100, Alois Cochard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just to let you know that I released a tool which allow to generate a
> > tags[1] file for a given cabal project using the sources of all the
> > dependencies of that project.
> >
> > `cabal install codex`
>
> Slight issue with base 4.6 installed:
>
>         $ cabal install --reinstall codex
>         Resolving dependencies...
>         cabal: Could not resolve dependencies:
>         trying: codex-0.0.1.1 (user goal)
>         next goal: base (dependency of codex-0.0.1.1)
>         rejecting: base-4.6.0.1/... (conflict: codex => base>=4.7 &&
>
> It does install fine with the .cabal patched to accept:
>
>         base >=4.6 && <4.8

Oh sorry for that!
I just released a new version with a lower bound constrain at 4.6

> > You can simply run `codex update` in one of your cabal project directory
> > and you'll get a 'codex.tags' file to feed in your favorite text editors.
> >
> > It store the source code in the hackage local cache, and it store there
> as
> > well the tags file per module (so the tool just aggregate per project).
> >
> > I hope it will be useful to other hackers, it's a joy for me in vim when
> > using unknown libraries.
> >
> > Note: This tool actually use `ctags` but that could be easily made
> > configurable if someone need it, integrating native haskell tagger is an
> > option too. I personally like using ctags, it's very fast.
>
> After generating a tags file with 'codex update', I have a bunch of
> references
> to .c and .h files. I can't see ctags being particularly useful for cabal
> projects but perhaps I'm missing something?
>
> I would personally use your tool if it were to provide an aggregate of tag
> files generated by something like hothasktags.

This is is because you have to configure your ctags to deal with haskell
(and also ignore some stuff from cabal), I wanted to explain that part but
I completely forgot... sorry.

It's actually quite simple, I have just updated the README with an example
~/.ctags configuration:
https://github.com/aloiscochard/codex

Be sure to delete all "tags" file in your hackage (as they were generated
with a miss-configured ctags) before re-running the tool, I'll add a
command to do that directly from the tool, but for now you can just:
"find ~/.cabal/packages/hackage.haskell.org -name "tags" -exec rm {} \;"

About `hothasktags`, I'm not sure how fast it is and how big is the
improvement in term of quality. Maybe you could share with us which
differences you see?

Honestly I don't care much about having to disambiguate manually (as i did
that with other languages) and I don't think there is others difference vs
using a haskell tagger, but I understand some might prefer a native tagger
in which case it should be pretty trivial to plug hothasktags on any other
tagger on it.

Using a tool which work cross language is actually very powerful, for
example I have a githook which tag the source of the project itself [1] ...
it work for all my git based project, doesn't matter which language.

I hope that help

[1]
https://github.com/aloiscochard/configurations/tree/master/.git_template/hooks

> --