[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] codex - generate tags file from dependencies

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 22:54:29 UTC 2014

Hi,

Just to let you know that I released a tool which allow to generate a
tags[1] file for a given cabal project using the sources of all the
dependencies of that project.

`cabal install codex`

You can simply run `codex update` in one of your cabal project directory
and you'll get a 'codex.tags' file to feed in your favorite text editors.

It store the source code in the hackage local cache, and it store there as
well the tags file per module (so the tool just aggregate per project).

I hope it will be useful to other hackers, it's a joy for me in vim when
using unknown libraries.

Note: This tool actually use `ctags` but that could be easily made
configurable if someone need it, integrating native haskell tagger is an
option too. I personally like using ctags, it's very fast.

*[1]Those tags file basically contain references to functions/types
definition in source code and allow "jump to definition"
like functionality in text editors.*

source: http://github.com/aloiscochard/codex
hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/codex

--