[Haskell-cafe] Info on dependencies among libs distributed with ghc?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Apr 21 05:40:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 08:18:20AM +1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 21 April 2014 02:11, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> I'm working on the packaging of Ghc for Arch Linux and the
>> packaging of Ghc 7.8 was in place about a week ago.  It was
>> delivered with `Cabal` 1.18, and already now there's a 1.20
>> available, which is required by the latest version of
>> `cabal-install` :(
>>
>> Ghc 7.8 comes with quite a few other basic libraries.  Are there
>> any dependencies between these libraries besides the obvious one on
>> `base`?
>>
>> In other words, can I update Cabal without running into the
>> diamond-dependency problem?
>
> The only time I've had a problem with Exherbo packages is that some
> of them (e.g. haskell-docs) require using the version of Cabal
> shipped with GHC (I think it was to have consistency with the
> version of Cabal that Haddock was built with); as long as the Arch
> packages can specify "use GHC's Cabal" for the few cases which it's
> necessary then you shouldn't have a problem.

That is exactly the kind of situation I want to avoid :)

I have no problem re-compiling everything that depends on Cabal, but I
want that recompile to result in a situation where neither the user
(nor me) need to ever ask "Which of the installed Cabal versions
should I use to compile this program?".

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Code as if whoever maintains your program is a violent psychopath who knows
where you live.
     -- Anonymous