[Haskell-cafe] Info on dependencies among libs distributed with ghc?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 22:18:20 UTC 2014

On 21 April 2014 02:11, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> I'm working on the packaging of Ghc for Arch Linux and the packaging
> of Ghc 7.8 was in place about a week ago.  It was delivered with
> `Cabal` 1.18, and already now there's a 1.20 available, which is
> required by the latest version of `cabal-install` :(
>
> Ghc 7.8 comes with quite a few other basic libraries.  Are there any
> dependencies between these libraries besides the obvious one on
> `base`?
>
> In other words, can I update Cabal without running into the
> diamond-dependency problem?

The only time I've had a problem with Exherbo packages is that some of
them (e.g. haskell-docs) require using the version of Cabal shipped
with GHC (I think it was to have consistency with the version of Cabal
that Haddock was built with); as long as the Arch packages can specify
"use GHC's Cabal" for the few cases which it's necessary then you
shouldn't have a problem.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com