[Haskell-cafe] Minimal Haskell Platform

Travis Cardwell travis.cardwell at extellisys.com
Wed Apr 16 05:58:23 UTC 2014

On 2014年04月16日 01:31, Mike Meyer wrote:
> This points out at least one other benefit of HP: it provides a larger
> set of libraries for people learning Haskell to get started with
> before having to learn how to deal with cabal and the possibilities of
> cabal hell.
>
> It may be that this isn't real - that the recent and good or popular
> tutorials all work fine with just GHC, in which case ignore me. On
> the other hand, if they all deal with cabal at one point or another,
> possibly HP needs better curation: audit what's there to make sure
> it's the best choice,  drop things that aren't useful, expand it to include
> critical libraries that are required by the tutorials, etc.

There are indeed packages in Haskell Platform that are beneficial for
beginners who may not want to have to deal with Cabal yet: HUnit and
QuickCheck.

By the way, I do not think that using Cabal is particularly troublesome
these days, as long as sandboxes are used.  Perhaps it becomes difficult
to use on Windows, but blaming Cabal for that would be like blaming a
flower for the poor smell of the manure in which it is planted...  We try
to engineer the smell of the flower to cover the smell of the manure, but
the strong flower smell can be overwhelming in cleaner environments. ;)

Cheers,

Travis