[Haskell-cafe] Minimal Haskell Platform

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Apr 15 16:31:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:
> on, I don't care about HP. The only time when I remember about it is when
tell novices how they can "install Haskell". But again, this has nothing to
do
with the bundled cabal packages, only with the way of installing
ghc/cabal/etc.

This points out at least one other benefit of HP: it provides a larger
set of libraries for people learning Haskell to get started with
before having to learn how to deal with cabal and the possibilities of
cabal hell.

It may be that this isn't real - that the recent and good or popular
tutorials all work fine with just GHC, in which case ignore me. On
the other hand, if they all deal with cabal at one point or another,
possibly HP needs better curation: audit what's there to make sure
it's the best choice,  drop things that aren't useful, expand it to include
critical libraries that are required by the tutorials, etc.

     <mike