[Haskell-cafe] A thought on the LinkedIn spam and an "upstream spam filter"

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 10:25:26 CEST 2013

Hello,
Sorry for dwelling on a "spammy" topic. If you are NOT interested in this
then please accept my regret and let me assure you that this is NOT to add
to the existing spam. If you still are unconvinced, then the only thing I
can tell you is "sorry, accept my apologies for wasting your time and
please stop reading further."

Okay, here is what I thought of it.
Yesterday I sent a mail as a response to a spam from LinkedIn to the cafe.
I don't know how, but part of my mail text was missing. (I must have
pressed Ctrl-C instead of Ctrl-V to paste the text from another file.)

I had thought of an idea which I call "upstream spam filter".

Anyway here is the text:
I thought, some people here on the list, who might have links with the
higher-ups at linked-in might bring the issue to their notice and would
make them *register* the Haskell-Cafe list on their server so that they
never send a spam to the entire list. They should install such an "upstream
spam filter". This "upstream spam filter" based solution would be more
effective in culling spam as compared to solutions based on
requesting/heckling individual linked-in subscribers to take some action at
his/her end. Note that here the individual may or may not be doing
intentional spamming BUT the linkedin is *hiding* behind the subscribers'
ignorance.

I propose that more *influential* people on the list demand that the
linked-in company should provide a way to register some emails (e.g.
mailing lists) which they SHOULD spare from their spamming machines.

I have already tried communicating with them but was unsuccessful.

Is there any DND like service, at least, to force these big companies (like
linked-in), who are happily spamming the world, behave properly?[1]

Please send such protest mails to the personal email ids of the linked-in
(and other such companies) top brass or other linkedin top level technical
staff, if you know them.
If anybody on this list is working for linkedin, then this mail is for you
too.
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Disturb_%28telecommunications%29

Thanks and regards,
-Damodar Kulkarni