[Haskell-cafe] Cabal sandboxes over cabal-dev

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:35:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:05 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> (Note: I'm one of the developers/designers of cabal sandboxes.)

...and I'm one of the developers / maintainers of cabal-dev :)

I'll echo Johan's comments -- cabal sandboxes have the level of integration
with cabal that cabal-dev could only aspire to; and as such, cabal
sandboxes can do it *right* :) (add-source and cabal repl are two great
examples of this already).

Cabal-dev is also not likely to be maintained very much longer, since cabal
sandboxes solve the problem that cabal-dev addressed.  I like to think that
cabal-dev, capri, and other similar haskell sandboxing tools demonstrated
that the concept was sound and useful, but cabal sandbox has taken the idea
and refined it to be properly integrated and much more reliable.

tl/dr; I *strongly* suggest everyone start transitioning from cabal-dev to
cabal sandboxes.

--Rogan