[Haskell-cafe] Proposal for a standard collection of algorithms/Data structures in haskell

satvik chauhan mystic.satvik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:48:05 UTC 2013

Yes, I know containers is best in what it does but it is not very complete
even if we compare it with c++ stl. Almost all the functionality of c++ stl
have haskell implementation on hackage in some form or other but they lack
good design and documentation and are not well maintained. I am not
implying one package to do everything but more like a set of packages
following a unified design with extremely well documented interface. It
should be comprehensive and should support easy inclusion of new
algorithms/data structures with community recommended implementations
(containers can be  part of it). It should be well tested, optimized and
ready to be used in production code. I have mentioned c++ stl just for
reference but I am inclined more towards Boost like set of libraries. This
is one place where I think haskell is lacking compared to other languages
and it is one of the critical point in its wider acceptance.

-SC

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Johannes Waldmann <
waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> what is your proposal, exactly?
>
> as far as collection types are concerned,
> it seems to me that http://hackage.haskell.org/package/containers
> is well-designed, well-documented, well-implemented, and well-maintained.
>
> - J.W.

Satvik Chauhan
Fourth Year Under Graduate Student
Deptt. of Computer Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Kanpur-208016, INDIA
Email: mystic.satvik at gmail.com , satvikc at iitk.ac.in