[Haskell-cafe] Proposal for a standard collection of algorithms/Data structures in haskell

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Oct 15 12:25:45 UTC 2013

I'm not sure I'd agree exactly that containers is well-documented. It's
extremely common for beginners[1] to have unintentional space leaks in
Data.Map due to the non-strict value, and the documentation doesn't say
anything about this common pitfall. The only thing it says is "If you need
value-strict maps, use Strict instead.", which is great if you already know
what you're doing, but not so great if you don't. I don't have any problems
with the implementation, design, or maintenance, but the documentation
could be improved for people who are new to Haskell.

[1] I contributed the Haskell path to http://exercism.io/ and do a lot of
code review there. I don't think I've ever seen someone use Data.Map
correctly the first time.