[Haskell-cafe] idea: ratings (or maybe comments) for packages in hackage

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 17:39:46 UTC 2013

Curtis Gagliardi <gagliardi.curtis at gmail.com> writes:

> Integrating with github stars was what I imagined.  I was thinking of maybe
> forking http://www.clojuresphere.com/ and trying to get it to work with
> haskell projects.  It looks pretty viable since hackage appears to have
> downloads and haskellers.com looks like it has the dependency graph stuff
> already done.

I'm not sure about this. It seems like a rather indirect metric. I, for
one, often use Github's star feature as more of a bookmark facility than
anything else; a reminder to have a look at a project when there are
free cycles. In my experience stars are rarely removed so there is really
no way to account for stagnation. Instead, the metric turns into more of
an indicator of project age than quality.

I'll admit that I may have been overcomplicating things in suggesting a
multidimensional rating space, however.

Cheers,

- Ben