[Haskell-cafe] Parallel ghc --make

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu May 16 04:21:51 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Clark Gaebel <cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> It's also useful to note that the disk cache might do a surprisingly good
> job at caching those .hi files for you. That, and a lot of people (like me!)
> use SSDs, where the parallel compilation takes the vast majority of time.
>
> I'd be really excited to see parallel ghc --make.
>
> By the way, totally unrelated, but why does cabal support -j when cabal-dev
> doesn't?

It helps to understand that they are made by different people and
cabal-dev is "just" a wrapper around cabal. Out of curiosity I just
tried 'cabal-dev install -j' and as far as I can tell right now it
does support -j. Perhaps you need to install newer versions of cabal
or cabal-dev?

$ cabal-dev --version
cabal-dev 0.9.1
built with Cabal 1.16.0