[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform's libstdc++-6.dll may be interfering with other applications

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Mon May 13 10:32:18 CEST 2013

On Tue, 07 May 2013 20:27:06 +0200, Andrew Pennebaker
<andrew.pennebaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use a number of different programming languages, so I have Haskell
> Platform, Strawberry Perl, Node.js, RVM, and Git Bash installed at the
> same
> time.
>
> I've noticed that compiling packages with C dependencies (e.g. using
> node-gyp during "npm install node-mhash", or doing "cpan install
> PAR::Packer") often crashes during the build process with a popup:
>
> The procedure entry point __gxx_personality_sj0 could not be located in
> the
> dynamic link library libstdc++-6.dll.
>
> As Roderich Schupp points
> out<https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=84949>,
> it appears that the different libstdc++-6.dll's are interfering with one
> another. Haskell Platform comes with one, Vagrant comes with one, GIMP
> comes with one, MinGW comes with one, and Strawberry Perl comes with two!
> Objdump seems to indicate that Haskell Platform's DLL is the one to
> blame.
:
:
> Would updating Haskell Platform's libstdc++-6.dll fix this issue? Is
> there
> some way to cordon Haskell Platform off from the rest of the system,
> while
> still making ghc.exe and friends available on PATH?
:

I think there will always be discrepancies between different versions of
DLLs; one way to solve this, is to put the Haskell compiler directory at
the beginning of the search path when you are compiling with it. When you
decide that you are satisfied with your executable, put the
libstdc++-6.dll in the executables directory, as this directory is
searched first for DLLs, when running the executable.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--
Folding at home
just 5 minutes you can join  the world's biggest networked computer and

http://Van.Tuyl.eu/
Haskell programming