[Haskell-cafe] What symbol / atom/ interned-string package is currently preferred?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Tue May 7 20:58:38 CEST 2013

Hi cafe,

I use symbols all the time when manipulating code.  I vacillate between
using stringtable-atom, symbol, and simple-atom.  Unfortunately:

   - Stringtable-atom is has a broken build right now (GHC 7.6).  (Also
   I've had some crashes with it in the past.)
   - simple-atom has dependency upper bounds that restrict it to GHC <= 7.0
   - "symbol" has a design flaw, which is that it exposes the constructor
   for Symbol, which reveals the (nondeterministic) unique Int IDs.  I.e. it
   is not "SafeHaskell".

I submitted a pull request to relax simple-atom, but perhaps there are
other packages people use with which I am not aware?

Thanks,
  -Ryan