[Haskell-cafe] Hackage checking maintainership of packages

Felipe Almeida Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Mon May 6 19:47:39 CEST 2013

I do think it's a real problem even for seasoned haskellers.  I don't have
problems in remembering which packages I should use for the things I've
already used before recently, but I need to search Hackage just as everyone
else as soon as I need to do something new.

I also agree that this is more of a social problem not a tooling one.
 Hackage would just provide a tool for helping this kind of social
interaction.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Carter Schonwald <carter.schonwald at gmail.com
> wrote:

> is that really a problem though?
>
> Who's problem are we trying to solve? Is this being proposed to help
> seasoned haskellers, or make getting started easier for new folks?
>
> those are two VERY different problems. Also many of the maintainers for
> heavily used packages are incredibly busy as is, do they need to keep track
> of even *more* email? I'd hope not.
>
> In some respects,  just having the hackage2 deps and revdeps stats is a
> good proxy for how likely a package is to be well maintained.
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Niklas Hambüchen <mail at nh2.me> wrote:
>
>> Well, that's what the "once every 3 months" is good for.
>>
>> On Mon 06 May 2013 20:34:13 SGT, Tobias Dammers wrote:
>> > The problem is that people tend to (truthfully) check such a box, then
>> > stop maintaining the package for whatever reasons, and never bother
>> > unchecking the box.

Felipe.