[Haskell-cafe] Hackage checking maintainership of packages

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Mon May 6 14:01:04 CEST 2013

On 06/05/13 17:46, Tillmann Rendel wrote:
> So what about this: Hackage could try to automatically collect and
> display information about the development status of packages that allow
> potential users to *guess*

In my opinion, that's what we have now.

Obtaining the info in the four points you mention from their respective
sources usually takes less than a minute in sum - hackage saving me that
minute would give me little added value.

Having the metrics you mention is nice, but still they are just metrics
and say little the only thing that's important:

   Is there a human who commits themselves to this package?

> I like the idea of displaying additional info about the status of
> package development, but I don't like the idea of annoying hard-working
> package maintainers with emails about their perfect packages

I really think this is not too big of a deal, getting one email every 3
months and clicking a few checkboxes.

Probably fits into one cabal update.