[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Adrian May adrian.alexander.may at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:52:11 CEST 2013

> PS The proposal to fix Functor => Applicative => Monad has patches
> attached for GHC and base, but the backwards compatibility bogeyman always
> seems to trump something that will break a lot of code.

I think that should be fixed as well, but it would be tantamount to a new
language.

I guess you need some kind of versioning system for the libraries. Why not
put them all in a public source control server and have ghc force people to
say which snapshot they wanted. That would be your final breaking change,
and it's a one-liner in the Makefile. Then you could thrash around as much
as you liked and people like me would have nothing to complain about.
Naturally, the compiler itself should keep supporting old modes.

Adrian.