[Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Thu May 2 23:05:45 CEST 2013

On 02/05/13 20:52, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> indeed. That approach seems like the most likely to be successful
> within the scope of a single summer.
>
> That said, this does raise the question of what needs to be fixed
> up / added to the  haddock grammar to a) make it a rich target for
> pandoc b) make sure the augmented haddock grammar is human friendly
> and we can give helpful syntax errors etc.
>
> Whats the status of this proposal for this years GSOC? Done well /
> right, it'd be super valuable for the community
>
> -Carter
>

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
> <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>wrote:

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204

> With a reader and write module for new Haddock, you should be able
> to write LaTeX and convert that to Haddock and vice-versa. Some
> kind of Markdown was requested by popular demand but if we end up
> going the Pandoc way, we'll end up getting the plethora of already
> supported formats basically for free.

Last time I checked, there are two proposals filed for this. One, to
extend Haddock with features that have been long missing and extend it
with things like GADTs etc. Then implement a Markdown notation
alongside it.

The other one is to extend Haddock to be... compatible with Pandoc and
writing the modules. Only then, if time allows, any new extended
features will be put in.

Both effectively reach the goal of allowing Markdown but the first one
provides support for just Markdown and now the ability to write the
Pandoc modules if desired while the second one provides support for
whatever formats Pandoc currently works with and allows for feature
extensions from that point.

I think that if more time was given and both projects were worked on
independently, they would eventually reach the same level of features.
- --
Mateusz K.